Instant Art Straight From a Thrifted Puzzle
Welcome, Walter, to the Decor Hacks family! Walter is an illustrator and artist, runs a successful Etsy shop and also blogs at Mod Podge Rocks. He will be blogging with us regularly featuring pretty and practical tutorials like this instant art from a puzzle.
I came across this faded wooden puzzle set of the USA at Sal’s Boutique. The pieces were all there, but the West Coast had obviously gotten too much SUN. I immediately got the idea to create a piece of “instant art;” art that anyone can create!
I made this with the following supplies:
• Wooden map
• Old kitchen door
• Satin black paint (for the door)
• Flat White spray paint for the puzzle
• Hot glue gun
• Picture hanging brackets (optional)
• Wipe any foreign matter off the puzzle, let dry.
• In a well-ventilated area (preferably outdoors), lightly spray paint the puzzle (flat white) and let it dry according to the manufacturer’s suggestions.
• Give the whole map a second coat.
•Wipe any foreign matter off the kitchen door and let dry. While it’s drying, set up for the next step.
• Coat with satin black and let dry.
Step 4: Paint Again
• Paint on a second coat and let dry.
Step 5: Assembly
• Layout the painted puzzle pieces onto the painted kitchen door.
• Turn the hot glue gun on and start gluing the pieces into place.
• Lean on a mantle, or
• Attach picture hanging hardware to the back.